Zipp’s 353 NSW Tubeless Disc-brake wheelset is the pinnacle of their pursuit of versatility and speed. This wheelset fuses Zipp’s two most advanced approaches, Sawtooth™ rim profile and TSE™, for an all-encompassing approach to performance. With its undulating 45-mm deep rim shape, the 353 NSW provides speed on every terrain with best-in-class aerodynamic efficiency and crosswind stability.
Zipp’s lightest tubeless wheelset yet: The 353 NSW Carbon Tubeless Disc-brake from Zipp
The 353 NSW is Zipp’s lightest tubeless wheelset yet, making it a fast-puncher ready to fight its way into the breakaway. Zipp’s use of hookless (straight side) rims in the 353 NSW is integral to achieving our mission of Making You Faster. With hookless, the transition between the tire and the rim is more seamless and aero. Zipp’s hookless rims have more efficient resin distribution, which means lighter wheels. They also are highly durable. Zipp’s 353 NSW’s Sawtooth™ rim shape with Hyperfoils™ optimizes aerodynamic efficiency and crosswind stability.
The Sawtooth™ design also allows the rim to be structurally strong but light. That will help you snap out of corners and maintain that speed no matter the terrain, especially the steep, punchy stuff. The 353 NSW utilizes Zipp’s Total System Efficiency™, or TSE™, approach to wheel design: overcoming specific barriers to speed: wind resistance, gravity, rolling resistance, and vibration losses.
The wheelset’s 25mm internal width is ideal for running wider tubeless tires at reduced air pressure for a more efficient ride. At the center of the 353 NSW is the Cognition V2 Hubset re-engineered with an updated Axial Clutch V2™ mechanism for quicker engagement and lower friction as well as improved durability.
Features – Zipp 353 NSW Carbon Tubeless Disc-brake
- Versatile endurance wheelset for the modern road bike with tubeless and hookless rim profile
- Zipps lightest tubeless wheelset yet, making it a fast-puncher ready to fight
- Optimized tire bed for easy tire installation
- TSE™ for greater efficiency and reduced rolling resistance
- Sawtooth™ rim with Hyperfoil™ nodes and HexFin™ ABLC dimple pattern for top aero and crosswind-stability performance with an undulating rim depth
- Cognition V2 hubset rolls efficiently whether you are pedaling or coasting. Its Axial Clutch V2 technology reduces drag and lowers friction
- Center locking rotor interface. Lockring is included with the wheels
- Zipp graphics applied using Zipp’s ImPress™ direct-print technology
- XDR™ or SRAM/Shimano driver bodies
- Campagnolo driver body sold separately
- Use: Road
- Model: 353 NSW Tubeless Carbon
- Rim size: 28″
- Tyre type: Tubeless Folding Tyre only
- Spokes: 24
- Brake type: Disc Brake (Centerlock)
- Tubeless system: yes
- Max recommended system weight: 113kg (body weight + bike + equipment)
- Max tire pressure: 5 bar (73 psi)
- Rim: Zipp NSW
- Inner Rim width: 25mm
- Outer Rim width: 30mm
- Rim depth: 45mm
- Valve hole: SV (6.5mm)
- Hub: Zipp Cognition 2
- Hub axle system: 12 x 142mm Thru Axle
- Spoke type: Sapim CX-Ray
- Spoke pattern: 2-cross
- Nipple type: Sapim secure-loc
Freehub Compatibility (choose variant)
- Shimano Freewheel: 8-/9-/10-/11-speed Shimano/SRAM (Road)
- Sram XDR Freewheel: 12-speed Sram
- Rim: Carbon
- Hub: Aluminum
- Spokes: Stainless steel
- Nipples: Aluminium
- 675g (manufacturer information)
Scope of delivery
- 1 x Zipp 353 NSW Disc Tubeless Carbon Clincher Rear Wheel
SawTooth™ is the name given to Zipp NSW’s patented variable depth 53/58mm rims. Developed utilizing the principles of the emerging science of biomimicry, Zipp engineers began the rigorous aero development process of SawTooth™ utilizing the wind tunnel, CFD, and real-world testing. The result is a rim shape that takes nature’s most elegant design solutions and combines engineering precision to deliver a wheel that performs unlike any made before. This patented new rim shape achieves something conventional aero wheels cannot; it simultaneously reduces both aerodynamic drag and side force for the ultimate in AeroBalance™. Sawtooth™ accomplishes this with a series of patented fin-shaped Hyperfoil™ nodes along the inner diameter of the rim that work together with our new HexFin™ ABLC dimples for improved airflow. The result is Zipp’s highest performing wheelset ever realized with both aero-drag reduction and reduced side force at all wind yaw angles. This is important because higher wind yaw angles are where bike handling is most affected by the wind.
Hyperfoil™ is the name given to the individual nodes on Zipp NSW variable depth Sawtooth™ rims. Each of these patented structures features our HexFin™ ABLC dimples that help to stabilize handling in gusting wind by increasing wind vortex shedding frequency. The higher frequency vortex shedding produced by Sawtooth™ creates a greater number of smaller, less powerful, yet more predictable vortices leading to greater wheel stability. This added stability translates into greater rider control, thereby saving energy that is typically expended trying to hold a line in gusting wind. The result is a faster, more confident riding experience whether you are laying down power or descending sinuous mountain roads.
HexFin™ ABLC dimples are the hexagonally shaped depressions found at each Hyperfoil™ of our Sawtooth™ shaped NSW rims. The angular shape of each dimple increases boundary layer mixing to help keep airflow attached to the rim for reduced aerodynamic drag and improved stability in crosswinds. To further improve the effectiveness of the hexagonal dimples, they are arranged in fin-shaped clusters made up of variable sized dimples that work in concert with each Hyperfoil™ of a Sawtooth™ rim.
Zipp has employed the ImPress™ graphics technology, which prints graphics directly on the wheel, to help allow the dimples to do what they were design to do – help control vortex shedding, the rate at which air sheds off the wheel. Managing this is crucial to stability. ImPress graphics also give NSW a distinctive stealthy look.